Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use FanDuel Promo Code "CAFE" for 100% Bonus Up To $200
http://fantasycafe.com/fanduel
Week 15 FanDuel & DraftKings Cheat Sheet & Value Picks

http://edraft.com/nfl/fantasy-football/analysis/weekly-leagues/
10 Fantasy Football Research tools:

http://edraft.com/nfl/fantasy-football/tools/

Lookup player consistency, touches, targets, etc.
Step 1: Join FanDuel with Promo Code: CAFE
Step 2: Seek Our Advice and Dominate:

Get Our Week 15 FanDuel Cheat Sheet & Value Picks

This is a must have purchase if you want to substantially increase your chances of winning:

http://edraft.com/nfl/fantasy-football/analysis/weekly-leagues/

We're confident you'll make your money back and more on your first try!

Draft Strategy - 2 QB League

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some helping in formulating a draft strategy for my league this year. Here are the positions that we play with and the scoring settings as well:

• 1 QB, 2 WR's, 2 RB's, 1 TE, 1 Flex (QB/WR/RB/TE), 1 K, 1 Def
  • 25 Yards per point Passing, 5 points for a Passing TD, -2 points for Interception/Fumble, 5 point bonus for hitting 400 Passing Yards, 1 point for 40+ yard plays
  • 10 Yards per point Receiving/Rushing, 7 points for a Receiving/Rushing TD, -2 points for Fumbles, 10 point bonus for hitting 200 Receiving/Rushing Yards, 2 points for 40+ yard plays

Since we're allowed to have a QB in the Flex spot it's effectively a 2 QB league. It's a 10 team re-draft league and I'm picking 7th overall. I'm pretty confident that I know the order of the first six picks in front of me: Brees, Rodgers, Charles, McCoy, Peterson/Manning, Peterson/Manning. That leaves me without an option of one of the top six players. I'm struggling to really land on a solid strategy for my first four rounds of drafting. Here's a few ideas that I've had so far:

• Take Calvin in the first and hope that I can snag a good RB on the way back in the second round. I would be aiming for someone like Lynch or Foster in the second round. I would get the best WR in the league in this scenario and I would still get a decent RB with the second pick I hope. My main worries with this strategy are that I could potentially be left without a good RB if others decide to draft one early. Secondly, even if I do get one of those RB's I mentioned, they're both risky choices. Reduced workload for Lynch and Foster is coming back from injury.
  • My second strategy would be to take Forte in the first round and back that up with one of the top 5 WR's in the second. I'd likely steer clear of picking Marshall in the second since I would already have Forte. I would be targeting either Demaryius Thomas or AJ Green in the second. The tradeoff here is looking at the decrease in value from Calvin down to Thomas/Green against the upside from Forte over Lynch/Foster.
  • Third strategy would be to take Forte in the first followed by a QB in the second. I'd likely be looking at someone like Tom Brady/RG3/Matt Ryan falling to me in the second round. I'd then be looking at the addition in value from a second round QB over a third rounder versus the loss in production from one of the top 5 WR's over someone I could get in the third (Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson). Any chance one of the top 5 remains in the third? There were only 3 WR's taken by the 27th pick last year...

Is anyone able to lend a helping hand here and provide some rationale for one of the aforementioned strategies over another? Or are there any other strategies I should be considering? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• indeedindeed Posts: 834Member ✭✭

In a league where you can flex a QB, I think Stafford should be in the mix with that pick too with the big bonus for 400 yd games. Calvin is a great pick in a league with bonus points for 40+ yard plays but if there are only ten teams and you only start two WRs (assuming no one is crazy enough to start anything other than a QB in the flex spot) there should be lots of options later in the draft. That being said, if you don't love Stafford then go with Forte and take a QB in the 2nd and likely 3rd round. You just don't want to miss out on the QB run or you could be in trouble.

• seibsseibs Posts: 24Member

@indeed said: In a league where you can flex a QB, I think Stafford should be in the mix with that pick too with the big bonus for 400 yd games. Calvin is a great pick in a league with bonus points for 40+ yard plays but if there are only ten teams and you only start two WRs (assuming no one is crazy enough to start anything other than a QB in the flex spot) there should be lots of options later in the draft. That being said, if you don't love Stafford then go with Forte and take a QB in the 2nd and likely 3rd round. You just don't want to miss out on the QB run or you could be in trouble.

Appreciate the feedback! I don't quite buy into the theory that I need to draft a QB early and get a good one. I'm looking at it from a value standpoint. Stafford can put up huge numbers, but so can a lot of the other QB's. I do like Stafford, I like him a lot, but I think I can get better value by not drafting a QB first and possibly even second. There's a much smaller drop off in value from guys like Stafford/Newton/Ryan down to Rivers/Cutler/Roethlisberger/Romo (yes, I think he'll still be there at 27th) than there is from Calvin/DT down to Cobb/Andre Johnson/Vincent Jackson. I would be fine running with guys like Rivers and Cutler/Romo as my QB's. I had Cutler and Roethlisberger as my QB's last year and finished first overall in the regular season.

I've been thinking about hoarding WR's as well. Maybe taking Calvin in the first and then DT in the second. I think I could leverage a trade with Calvin to get one of the top 3 RB's or maybe DT and something else to get Forte... Who knows though, Foster might even drop to me in the third. I was able to get him with 12th overall pick last year.

• andy117andy117 Posts: 81Member

@seibs said: I've been thinking about hoarding WR's as well. Maybe taking Calvin in the first and then DT in the second. I think I could leverage a trade with Calvin to get one of the top 3 RB's or maybe DT and something else to get Forte... Who knows though, Foster might even drop to me in the third. I was able to get him with 12th overall pick last year.

I don't usually like to draft with the point of trading.
    I think I'd take Forte in the 1st and look for QBs in the 2nd and 3rd.

• devil_docdevil_doc Posts: 186Member, Community Writers

I didn't see anything about PPR in there, but maybe I missed it. But NON PPR, I'm taking Lacy over Forte if you go RB. The Packers offense is scary good with Rodgers healthy on the field. Can Forte be just as good, yeah, but I've yet to see Cutler actually put it all together.

I'd almost go best QB available then on the turn look at your RBs. I could see Luck at the 7th spot because of the 2 QB league, but I'd have a hard time taking one of those over either of the two RBs mentioned above.

If it were me, I'd take a RB first, then a QB on the turn.

I might just be being really stubborn here, but I still don't see the value in drafting a QB before the third round. Looking at who's going to be available at 14th overall (assuming I don't take QB in the first) I'll be looking at the likes of Foles/Kaepernick/Wilson/Ryan/Brady. Comparing those guys to who I think will be there in the third Rivers/Cutler/Roethlisberger/Dalton/Manning/Romo (maybe) I really don't see a drop off in a lot of value between who I could get at QB1 and QB2 by taking QB's one round earlier.

It really pains me to take someone like Forte/Lacy over Calvin though as well... I like Forte, but I don't like Lacy. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself not to take the clear cut number one WR and instead take the 4th/5th best RB. I get that RB's are short this year but I don't want to draft one and leave incremental value on the board in the form of better players relative to their position or in the form of potential gains from trade. Banking on a trade is risky but I think I could make it through a few weeks and get a trade done then, doesn't have to be before week one.

• rjwhiterjwhite Posts: 35Member, Expert Writers

Even with the two-QB format, I don't think you have to reach for a signal caller. There should be 14-16 guys who will be good starting options. I would personally go with Forte and then a WR in the second, as I figure you'd be able to get the rock solid Jordy Nelson at a bare minimum.

• GronkeyKongCountryGronkeyKongCountry Posts: 22Member

I did my first 2 qb league last year with a very similar set up, I took a rb with my first pick (spiller sucked) but then I came back with my 2nd and 3rd pick and took stafford and cam. I also missed on mjd but having 2 stud qbs WILL carry you and atleast keep you competitive if all else fails or could just put you over the top. In a league like that qbs hold alot more value and trust me it will be well worth it to grab ATLEAST one top qb. As its a 10 team league with only 2 WR spots hands down I wouldnt take a wr with my first 4 picks I would try to grab a stud rb rd 1 then on the wrap grab stafford (if he drops) detroit added golden tate and eric ebron and unless jim caldwell fucks it up stafford throws like 60 times a game with the combo of no defense and a potent passing attack. You can probably wait for a second qb but I highly recommend you try and get solid rbs and qbs. I ended up moving cam (my 2nd qb last year) for a big haul garcon edelman etc. And then streamed my flex qb with guys like tannehill and glennon. Even with my huge bust at rbs I still ended competitve. So if u dont wanna get 2 higher round qbs atleast go get 1 big guy truthfully I would even consider stafford at 7 overall if brees rodgers and manning go cuz he might not come back. Also I would be weary about the patriots passing attack aside from gronk this year, as a huge pats fan the explosive offense has come because belichick saw his defense on the decline old and brady was the future so they turn into the colts. But now there defense is what they are building around with young guys cominy into prime and addition of revis and browner look for the patriots to pound the ground and play defense this year. I wouldnt touch brady unless it was lateeee

Just from the talk I've been hearing from other guys in my league I've got a feeling that there will still be a few decent QB's available by the time the third round hits. I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to draft a QB in the first round. Here's a couple more strategies I've been thinking of:

• Calvin Johnson 1st & Jimmy Graham 2nd. I'd grab the top two players at their respective positions. Go for QB & RB in the 3rd and 4th. I'm hearing talk that WR's are going to be going early this year which makes me lean towards Calvin. Jimmy is just kind of a steal because he'll put up comparable numbers to the top 5 receivers, but I'll get extra value in my WR2 will put up more points than my TE1 if I wait until the 9th or 10th to get a TE
    • Matt Forte 1st & Jimmy Graham 2nd. Same deal as the previous but back to the fight of Forte vs. Johnson
  • GronkeyKongCountryGronkeyKongCountry Posts: 22Member

This about this, 10 teams 2 WR spots 2 QB spot and 2 RB spots most ppl will start 2 qbs and have a bench qb (they score most pts) so 20 out of 32 qbs will be started same with RBs there are timeshare guys too. Alot of teams in nfl have multiple productive receivers cobb nelson marshall jeffery etc.... Simply stated WRs are easier to come by. You need atleast 1 stud rb and qb! Jimmy gives u a leg up at te so I would understand that but you have to come out of first 4 rounds with solid rb and qbs! Recievers will be there in a 2 qb, I know everyone is saying receiver reciever reciever I just disagree especially in this format. In a league without the I could see maybe gettin 1 top teir wr. I just suggest not to take one

I think that I've landed on my strategy for the first 3 rounds:

1. Calvin Johnson. I'm taking Johnson over Forte because of consistency. With my first round pick I'm not looking to pick someone who has to replicate a great season they had last year to justify first round value. I'm looking for someone who has proven that they'll guarantee me points every week. He's the number one player at his position without question and the sky is the limit. With the bonus for 200 yard games, that makes him that much more appealing. I've won and lost games because of that bonus and Calvin is arguably the most likely player to hit it. I like Forte, but historically in my league he's been a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. He's improved significantly but so have his other teammates. I'm not confident that he can give me the consistency that I'm looking for in that setting. Plus, I lose most of the upside on the 200 yard bonus
    2. If any of Stafford/Newton/Luck are still there I'll take one of them here. If not then I will draft Jimmy Graham. Again this one is consistency. I'm bearish on guys like RG3/Foles/Kaepernick and I think it might be too early to draft Wilson here. Ryan and Brady do get some consideration but I'm not sold on them. Graham is once again the number one player at his position and has been for the past 3 years (arguably). It's guaranteed points that will put me miles above others at the positon
    3. Regardless of what happens in the second round I'll likely draft a QB here. Once the first 7 or so RB's are gone I don't see a big difference between ranks 8-14. I'll be able to get one in the fourth. However, if someone like Foster remains available I'll take him

Thoughts?