Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Week 1 Fantasy Football Money League

1. Go to http://fanduel.com/fantasycafe
2. $5 Entry Fee (100% Deposit Bonus)
3. Choose Your Roster
4. Finish in the Top 5 and Win!
10 Fantasy Research tools:

http://edraft.com/nfl/fantasy-football/tools/

Lookup player consistency, touches, targets, etc.

This Month's Leaders

Hey Folks - We've just launched Fantasy Basketball Cafe. If you love what you see here and are also an NBA fan, check out FantasyBasketballCafe.com and help get the community going!
Join the Official Fantasy Football Cafe Pick'em Game:

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/discussion/412/official-fantasy-football-cafe-pick-em-game-100-prize-free-to-enter

Free to Enter! Weekly + $100 Prize!
Weekly FantasyCafe Money League (Exclusive to the Cafe Community!)

$5 Entry. Top 5 Win Cash. 100% Deposit Bonus:

http://fanduel.com/fantasycafe

Pre-season games

dreamFFCafedreamFFCafe Posts: 31Member, Moderator mod

How much stock do you put in the pre-season?

I think many people jump on some of the feel good stories or break-out 'games' against 2nd and 3rd string guys. I try to look at new schemes and how new players fit in with their team, etc.

Pre-season is way too long and many coaches hold out star players much more. Even the 3rd pre-season game, the 'dress rehearsal', you see the starters exiting before halftime.

I'm ready for the regular season!!

Comments

• dolfin99dolfin99 Posts: 33Member, Moderator mod

Preseason is only for the coaches to evaluate players. It is a huge mistake to judge a player based on his preseason performance. I don't even put any stock in the final preseason game. There are far too many variables at play for judgement.

My key ingredient to how I rank and draft players is based on the team makeup, new coaches (or changed way of thinking .. scheme), injury off-season status.

A great example. DeAndre Hopkins is a stud on any other team with a solid QB. However, with the poor QB situation in Houston, it downgrades Hopkins' ranking for me. Yes, he may look great in the preseason, but come game time, he does not have a QB that can consistently get him the ball.

• Cowboys4LifeCowboys4Life Posts: 11Member

I don't put too much stock on it. I mostly watch the first few series of the early pre season games to see the scheme and see how people jive with it. Towards the end I watch for possible sleepers to draft in later rounds.

• andy117andy117 Posts: 77Member

I can watch the 1st half of games 1,2 and 3. The last game is worthless.

• stomperrobstomperrob Posts: 6Member

You definitely have to temper your expectations of those players who look really good in pre-season games. I think what is more telling at times is those players who look really bad in pre-season games.

• fuzzeemonkeyfuzzeemonkey Posts: 11Member

I think that as long as you're aware of the fact that it is preseason and how that differs from regular season you should be ok. I've definitely been able to pick up some breakout players after watching preseason games in the past. The trick is not to over reach because of what you saw.

• BlueBlue Posts: 371Member

Zero, zilp, nada, none, 0 is how much I out into it, hell I don't even watch the games, just injury reports.

• rjwhiterjwhite Posts: 35Member, Expert Writers

There can be value in analyzing player roles in the next-to-last week of the preseason, as most coaches use that as a dress rehearsal for the season. Say the Patriots start rookie James White at running back in that game and mix him with Shane Vereen throughout the first half, while Stevan Ridley spends most of his time working the second half with the second team. That's a tipoff that White will most likely play the Ridley role this season. At that point, I'm definitely targeting him for one of my bench RB slots. Using teams' third preseason games can definitely help unearth low-risk, high-upside players who emerge seemingly out of nowhere.

• bigken117bigken117 Posts: 7Member

who bought stock in Zach Sudfeld after last preseason? That's how much stock to put into it.

• gumbyke1gumbyke1 Posts: 100Member

Lol I bought into Zach Studfeld... but more so because of the team situation, not any preseason performance.