The Cafe Response Team is coming back in 2015. Message "dailyfantasycafe" if you're interested in being apart of the team dedicated to providing timely, quality feedback to our community. You will also earn a Response Team badge and 25 points - http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/badge/57
We are putting together a team of Fantasy Football Cafe Experts to help grow our community to new heights in 2015. If you have a passion for fantasy football, a proven record of success and want to get more involved, let us know - http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/discussion/39/how-to-apply-to-become-a-fantasy-football-cafe-expert

Strategy for first few rounds - QB/Off flex position

Looking for strategy advice...12 team PPR, this is our first year with the offensive flex position where we can start a 2nd QB, so I was advised to treat it like a 2 QB league. With that said...

Roster positions are:
QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, TE, Off Flex, K, D/ST, 8 bench

I have the 3rd pick and my keepers are Kaepernick and Stacy. Because we can't keep anyone from the first 2 rounds, most top players will still be available. I'm trying to figure out how to approach this (and subsequent) picks.

I'm going in assuming that Charles and Manning will be gone with the first 2 picks. Do I go with a stud RB here (e.g. McCoy) and then grab the best WR or QB left with my 2nd and 3rd round picks? Or do I secure a stud QB (i.e. Rodgers or Brees, so I don't have to worry about QBs) and go with RB/WR in rounds 2/3? Or something else entirely? Keep in mind there are 24 total players being kept, so I won't find the same quality of player available at 2.10 and 3.3 as there would in a non-keeper draft.

The best players being kept (guys that might normally be taken in the first 4 rounds) are:
QB: Luck, Stafford, RG3, Newton, Kap, Ryan, Wilson
RB: Lacy, Bell, Murray, Bush, Stacy
WR: Alshon, Nelson, V Jackson, Harvin, White

Thanks!

Comments

• big_d57big_d57 Posts: 36Member

It could go either way, if you think that QB's are going to fly off the board early, Brees and Rodgers are the way to go. I've never been a part of one of these leagues, but am going to draft in one later with an off flex. It'd be real tempting for me to take Mccoy or whichever back is left over but Brees and Rodgers will be consistently great. So I'd go stud QB and then RB/WR 2-3 rds.

• BlueBlue Posts: 755Member ✭✭

Agree with above, you need a solid QB1 and Kap ain't it.

• gbell217gbell217 Posts: 106Member

in any league with 2 QBs possible to start Manning/Brees and Rodgers should be 1st 3 picks

• whoson1st0whoson1st0 Posts: 20Member

If I go QB in R1, I should be able to get an Ellington/Doug Martin type RB in R2 and then a Garcon/Allen/Desean type WR in R3 to go along with Stacy and Kap. Or I can go WR/WR and hope for a MJD/S Jackson guy in R4

• Texas_Two_StepTexas_Two_Step Posts: 413Member, Expert Writers ✭✭

Absolutely 100% get a top QB. You will thank yourself later. They will most commonly outscore top positional players and you will be set. You can go through the rest of the draft with that piece of mind and take BPA(Best Player Available) at skill positions.

• srlarsonsrlarson Posts: 73Member

whoson, Take a QB in round 1....then let round 2 and 3 play out....don't go in saying rd 2 I'll take a back, etc...take the player that will help you most....if Wr, WR take em...if RB/RB take em....with Flex spots can play them all so get the most points possible per week....

Thanks everyone! I was definitely overthinking things with the new offensive flex. Guess it's a unanimous "QB in R1" and then BPA for the next few rounds after that.

Guys thanks for your feedback. I actually ended up going RB in R1 because I felt a solid QB would fall to me. I ended up with Romo in R3. Here is my roster:

QB - Kaepernick
    Superflex - Romo
    RB - Charles
    RB - Stacy
    WR - Cobb
    WR - Patterson
    WR - Wallace
    TE - Cameron
    RB/WR - Gerhart
    K - Bryant
    Def - Bills
    Bench - Locker, Cooks, Hartline, Eifert, Kelce, D Freeman, M Williams, K Davis

• runningchocrunningchoc Posts: 1,073Member ✭✭

Question for you. What were the available RB's in the 3rd? I'm wondering if instead of a Charles/Romo combo you had Brees with a back like Martin/Ellington/Foster.

• ccote321ccote321 Posts: 7Member
    edited August 2014

Charles was probably a good choice for you if he was available on the third pick. Romo will have a good season, since the defense is bad. I'm sure by R3 in a keeper like that it didn't get much better.

Not a huge fan of M. Wallace, but you do have a lot of potential on the bench.

@runningchoc said:
    Question for you. What were the available RB's in the 3rd? I'm wondering if instead of a Charles/Romo combo you had Brees with a back like Martin/Ellington/Foster.

Martin was taken early in round 2. Ellington and foster were taken at the turn in round 2/3 so I would had to have taken one of them in round 2 over Cobb which I was not prepared to do.

What I could have done in retrospect is take Rodgers in R1 (Brees was taken #2) then Ellington or foster in R2 then Keenan Allen in R3. Oh well, I like my team either way :)