*** WEEK 9 FanDuel + DraftKings Cheat Sheet & Value Picks ***

This is a must have purchase if you want to substantially increase your chances of winning:

http://edraft.com/nfl/fantasy-football/analysis/weekly-leagues/

We're confident you'll make your money back and more on your first try!

Weekly Warriors - Streaming D/ST - Week 1

Texas_Two_StepTexas_Two_Step Posts: 406Member, Expert Writers ✭✭
edited August 26 in Expert DST Rankings

Weekly Warriors - Streaming D/ST

What is streaming DST? For those of you unfamiliar with this strategy, let me explain. Some people in your league will jump out of line early in the draft to select Seattle or San Francisco. That's fine, but statistically speaking I believe if you fill your roster with talent at skill positions, you can play matchups and the waiver wire to find success with your DST on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Streaming DST is a controversial subject to some non-believers. For those of us who have learned to use this strategy to our advantage on a weekly basis, we believe. This article's primary purpose is to give you all a list of DSTs to look at on a weekly basis. I want to take it a step further and explain not only who, but why.

There are two important things I like to do when choosing that DST off of the waiver wire or out of the free agency pool. If you follow some of these and maybe some of your own, you should make this strategy a success.

1) Have Foresight

By this, I only mean look into the schedule. Streaming DST can be risky business if it's a week-to-week change. How many times has someone ahead of you on the waiver wire grabbed that DST you were after? Try not to look only at the current matchup. Look down the schedule a few weeks to see if you may be able to use them in following weeks also. This will allow you to minimize risk.

2) Criminal Offense

Some offenses are so bad it should be a crime. Streaming DST isn't about finding that "diamond in the rough" team. It's about matching up against struggling offenses. A bad QB or struggling offense can make even a pedestrian defense look playoff worthy. Focus on finding these offenses, and less on trying to predict defensive statistics on a weekly basis.

Week 1 D/ST picks

1) Baltimore Ravens

Schedule Week 1 - Cincinnati Week 2 - Pittsburgh Week 3 - @ Cleveland

The Ravens are far from former greatness. However they are available in more than 80% of ESPN Standard scoring leagues. Suggs, Dumervil and Ngata are very good up front, while new faces like Arthur Brown, C.J. Moseley and Matt Elam add a youthful, playmaking flare. AFC North games can tend to be low scoring. I like Cincinnati to have a good offensive season, but Baltimore has fared well against them. Pittsburgh & Cleveland have both looked lost in the Pre-Season. Here are a few more reasons I like them early on.

-In 2013 the Ravens had 7 Int's in 2 games against the Bengals. -Averaged 16 pts. in 2 games against the Bengals. -Averaged 16.5 pts in 2 games against the Browns. -Never allowed more than 20 points to the Steelers in 2 games last year.

2) New York Giants

Schedule Week 1 - @ Detroit Week 2 - Arizona Week 3 - Houston

The New York Football Giants. Wait,who? I know what your thinking. Weren't they terrible last year? The answer is two part. Over the first 6 games they were statistically among the worst teams. Over the last 10 games they were among the best. They finished as one of the hottest teams in the league for DST last season. Look at the reasoning.

-Averaged 4 pts per game over the first 6 games of 2013. -Averaged 19.9 pts per game over the last 10 games of 2013. -Finished 2013 (5th) in net pass yards per attempt. -Finished 2013 (6th) in yards per carry. -Improved secondary adding Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond. -@ Detroit last year scored 21 fantasy points.

3) Philadelphia Eagles

Schedule Week 1 - Jacksonville Week 2 - @ Indianapolis Week 3 - Washington

The Eagles are known for that "High Octane" offense Chip Kelly has installed. I think they can put up a few points defensively early in the season as well. Look at the early opponents. Jacksonville, do I need to elaborate on their offense? Didn't think so. Indianapolis will do great offensively this season if Andy Luck learns to throw from his back. He has been under constant and immediate pressure. Has anyone else seen the tragedy that is the Redskins offense? At this point Cousins looks like the more capable starter, but we all know that won't happen. These are my favorite reasons the Eagles can steal you a game.

-Jacksonville! -Finished 2013 (5th) in takeaways. -In 2013 vs. Washington - 5 takeaways, Averaged 18.5 fantasy points per game.

It's extremely difficult to make defensive projections when the regular season hasn't begun. I think these teams give you the best shot early on to get some points out of your DST. I will be posting this weekly as things can change quickly.

Note: I posted this a bit early and will edit if necessary due to injuries, etc.

• All teams available in over 80% of ESPN Standard Scoring leagues.
docx
docx
Weekly Warriors.docx

Comments

• Texas_Two_StepTexas_Two_Step Posts: 406Member, Expert Writers ✭✭

I attached a Word Doc to the post so you can see it in original format. It's an easier read.

• BleedGr33nBleedGr33n Posts: 200Member

Good info here for anyone looking to stream, you've already done the work for us. appreciated!

Ps all these defenses you listed are available in my league, nice write up.

• dawinner127dawinner127 Posts: 32Member

Absolutely awesome thread Texas. I hope this could be a weekly update as I am a fantasy player who streams defenses weekly.

I will be updating. I'm trying to get more views. If I can get a good enough following I will continue doing it and making it even better.

• BleedinPurpleBleedinPurple Posts: 26Member

Hmm, I have the Bucs week one vs Carolina, you think I should drop for the Ravens?

I like the Bucs personally. Especially against a Carolina team with limited weapons.

• devil_docdevil_doc Posts: 186Member, Community Writers

I'm a firm believer in this, sometimes you can get lucky and score a solid defense but most of the time I'm streaming. I also look strongly at the strength of schedule.

One team I'm a little surprised you don't have listed here in week 1 is the Steelers (23rd overall easiest schedule). Their first 12 weeks look, at least on paper, pretty juicy. Browns, Ravens, Panthers, Bucs, Jags, Browns, Texans, Colts, Ravens, Jets and Titans all before their bye week.

I also like the Jags this year in some of their matchups as well.

Great info!

I don't disagree with the Steelers, however I've been less than impressed with them during the pre-season. They have left me with far more questions than answers at this point. This post will be updated weekly, so just because they didn't make my top 3 now doesn't mean they won't in the coming weeks.

Thank you for reading as well.

I just now got my Directv hooked up, so I've missed most of the pre-season. Look forward to more.

Just took this off of Yahoo Sports week 3 Flames/Lames. Obviously they were listed as a lame. It's funny I came across that article after we talked.

Pittsburgh Steelers D – Mark Sanchez (7-of-9, 85 yards) sliced a Steelers first-team as though it were a bagel being prepped to toast. That essentially sums up what was yet another miserable preseason for the 'Soft Curtain.' On the night, the Eagles averaged 6.1 yards per play (5.2 yards per carry). Long gone are the days of Joe Greene, Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd and Joey Porter. There's promising talent on the roster, particularly rookie Ryan Shazier, who could be an unstoppable tackling machine as early as this year. But in many spots inexperience and advanced age are greatly harming this unit. It's fundamentally flawed, getting dominated at the point of attack and is generally ghost-like. Not only was Pittsburgh's effort laughable against Philly, it also surrendered a 73-yard TD scamper to Rashad Jennings two weeks ago, the lone bright spot this summer for an equally pathetic Giants offense. Steely McBeam conceded a respectable 4.07 yards per carry to RBs last year, but ranked No. 12 in fantasy points per game allowed to the position. Based on the early results, it may finish substantially higher in that category. Unless rapid improvements are made, count on Ben Tate and Bernard Pierce to roll up some nice numbers against it in Weeks 1 and 2.

Well that pretty much decides how I'll view them this year...hahaha

Thanks for that info man, I was buyer in their defense this year too.

• robotninjarobotninja Posts: 84Member

Love the thread and will be participating as I am a dedicated DST Streamer. Before the great crash/migration there was a user by the name of PrinceXXXX (the X's are numbers i dont remember) who had a great spreadsheet and formula for streaming defenses. It would be great if he would return because that thing was crazy good.

The premise of his theory was that everyone looks at games/teams that are going to be good at defense and allow fewer points in order to maximize the base points you would get in the game. I learned from him that this is statistically wrong as the highest point total generally comes from turnovers and special teams scores. Thus teams that either recover more turnovers or are going against teams that are turnover prone have a higher likelyhood of scoring big.

That being said I am glad you suggested the eagles as I really like that idea for week 1 and at this point that is who I am planning on rolling with.

Lets keep this thing rolling along.

• SaltyNutzSaltyNutz Posts: 18Member

Keep these coming. As the season progresses, these picks will become more apparent and easier to predict.

• purechinoypurechinoy Posts: 18Member

thanks for the great article. i've been hesitant to try this strategy but if this becomes a weekely update then i might give it a shot on one of my leagues.

• MattyNMattyN Posts: 997Member, Expert Writers ✭✭

I have used this strategy for years. Great way to gain an extra mid round pick.

• BleedGr33nBleedGr33n Posts: 200Member

im really digging philly week one against the jags which sets up a nice week 2 matchup to pic up green Bay against the jets. currently I have the Browns d so would need to drop them, they are pretty stacked this year so having a hard time deciding if I should roll with them vs pit or drop for philly's week 1 matchup. thoughts?

Pit hasn't looked fantastic, however Philly vs. Jax is hard to pass up.

• tbaker757tbaker757 Posts: 29Member

Awesome list thanks...any thoughts on Jets vs. Oakland this week?

I love the Jets, they weren't as readily available as the other teams on the list. Rex Ryan vs. Rookie QB. I'll take Rex all day.

The Jets are actually a more readily available team than I thought. I think they didn't make the list because of the offenses they face after Oakland. The have Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit.

• tbaker757tbaker757 Posts: 29Member

I'm going with them for just the week (10 man team I feel like I can find someone next week)..Should I be concerned that Dee Milliner is out?

You should be concerned that the Jets entire secondary has looked suspect.

• talontalon Posts: 84Member

@Texas_Two_Step‌ would you take broncos d or lions week 1?

I like the Lions out of those two. The Giants offense has looked terrible and we all know Eli, given the opportunity will throw the ball to the wrong team.

• talontalon Posts: 84Member

@Texas_Two_Step‌ true. Thanks for tip i just made the edit.

• doozdooz Posts: 68Member

@Texas_Two_Step said: Just took this off of Yahoo Sports week 3 Flames/Lames. Obviously they were listed as a lame. It's funny I came across that article after we talked.

Pittsburgh Steelers D – Mark Sanchez (7-of-9, 85 yards) sliced a Steelers first-team as though it were a bagel being prepped to toast. That essentially sums up what was yet another miserable preseason for the 'Soft Curtain.' On the night, the Eagles averaged 6.1 yards per play (5.2 yards per carry). Long gone are the days of Joe Greene, Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd and Joey Porter. There's promising talent on the roster, particularly rookie Ryan Shazier, who could be an unstoppable tackling machine as early as this year. But in many spots inexperience and advanced age are greatly harming this unit. It's fundamentally flawed, getting dominated at the point of attack and is generally ghost-like. Not only was Pittsburgh's effort laughable against Philly, it also surrendered a 73-yard TD scamper to Rashad Jennings two weeks ago, the lone bright spot this summer for an equally pathetic Giants offense. Steely McBeam conceded a respectable 4.07 yards per carry to RBs last year, but ranked No. 12 in fantasy points per game allowed to the position. Based on the early results, it may finish substantially higher in that category. Unless rapid improvements are made, count on Ben Tate and Bernard Pierce to roll up some nice numbers against it in Weeks 1 and 2.

I don't say this to advocate for the Steelers but teams generally employ really vanilla defenses (and often offenses) in the pre-season to keep their regular season opponents from getting useful tape.

It's just something to keep in mind when evaluating pre-season performances.

That is obvious. Poor tackling and wide receivers open by 5-10 yards consistently however has nothing to do with scheme. The Steelers have aged before our eyes. They are nothing to fear and most opponents will look forward to racking up the yards against them. I think even a Cleveland team with no superstar QB will put up a few points.

• purechinoypurechinoy Posts: 18Member

I had the Bill D/ST and decided to pick up Eagles for week 1. Great advice from everyone...they scored me 14 pts (versus 11 for Bills)

Hopefully there will be more info for week 2. the start of my streaming D/ST season is off to a good start

edited September 8